Are you struggling to gain local visibility? Google Maps is one of the best ways to help your business connect with local customers, but it has changed drastically over the last decade. Partnering with Performance Driven Marketing will allow your business to gain visibility on Google Maps as we utilize Application Programming Interfacing (API) and other search engine optimization (SEO) services to drive your listing higher.
Claiming Your Google Maps Listing
If you have yet to claim your maps listing with Google, you need to do so as soon as possible. There are several key benefits to utilizing the Google Maps listing:
- Increased local visibility
- Improved ability to receive more customer reviews
- Proper directions to your storefront
- Repair contact information across multiple search engine results
- Improve the visibility of the business by adding photos and engaging information
Failure to claim and properly optimize your Google Maps listing will cost your business and potential customers. With the majority of local customers utilizing Google to find companies to do business with, it is imperative to spend time filling out your profile so your business can appear higher in the Google Maps tool.
How Does Google Maps Work?
Google Maps is designed to run on an entirely different algorithm from Google Search. What this means is, that your business needs to optimize your map listing differently from your standard profile. From verifying the contact information to adding relevant keyword terms and photos to your listing, your Google Map profile will give your business more visibility with your local audience.
Utilizing Local SEO for Google Maps
Proper optimization of a Google Maps page has increasingly become important for business owners as markets are becoming more competitive as search engines continue to grow. The demand for information on mobile devices has in large part, driven this push toward Google Maps. Our Google-certified experts have valuable knowledge pertaining to the proper optimization of a Map listing, allowing your company to climb higher in the search engine results.
Why Isn’t My Map Page Ranking?
Google uses multiple algorithms to bring results to local customers. If a person uses a smartphone and types in information relevant to your business, they can have multiple search options appear. Your Map listing can show up based on their location and keyword search and the business can appear in the organic search results. A user on a computer can get a different result. As the algorithms change, it is imperative to fill out the Google Map listing and link it to your website correctly so you do not miss out on traffic from these multiple algorithm results.
Improving Your Google Maps Ranking
How can you improve your ranking? It all comes down to remaining compliant with Google regulations. As the algorithms are constantly updated, Google Maps owners have to be constantly educated on the changes. Some of the required ranking factors Google uses for map listing results include:
- Verification of Google My Business listing.
- Accuracy of business listings across the Internet, commonly known as “citations.” (e.g.: Yelp, Yellowpages, Facebook, LinkedIn, etc.)
- Reviews and average rating of the Google My Business listing.
- How well the Google My Business page has been optimized.
- The domain name of the company’s website.
- The proximity of the business location to the centermost point of the geo-target or city.
- Proper linking of the Google My Business page from your website.
One of the most powerful marketing strategies your business can implement is the correct Google Maps optimization and linking. Local business owners often see more results from their Google Maps listing than other traffic sources.
The importance of Google Maps
Why is there so much interest related to Google Maps? We already know that Google has been the major game player for businesses since its creation in 1998, but its overall presence continues to grow and influence the way people find businesses. When smartphones started to grow in popularity, Google was quick to jump ahead of the game by providing related search results to help people navigate their way to local businesses. Here are some recent stats that show the power of Google Maps:
- Over 50% of Google searches performed on mobile devices include searches for local businesses, products, or services.
- For people searching for local businesses, Google Maps is almost always the primary result that appears on their device, with a link to the website, directions to the business, and the Google listing.
- Almost 80% of smartphone owners have access to the Internet.
With so much valuable information in their pockets, customers rely on Google to connect them with the businesses that have the information they are seeking. Improper optimization can ruin your ability to connect with those people who could be the next “big fish” your business needs. Google Maps SEO is extremely important to the way your business will perform online.
Creating a Google Maps Strategy
In order to gain the visibility you need, it is vital to take time to make sure your business is appearing correctly in the Google Maps listing. Use some keywords that your business is involved in, and find out where your business is ranking. You can quickly see how well your Google Map result is appearing by performing these simple steps. If you aren’t seeing your listing result at all, or it’s buried deep in the map results, you need professional SEO help. Performance Driven Marketing specializes in Google Maps SEO, and we will be able to properly optimize your listing to drive traffic. Here are some of the most important things you can do to help your Google Maps listing:
- Verify your business listing and correctly fill out all of the vital information including the address, contact information, and operating hours.
- Properly tag your Google My Business page in categories related to your business industry.
- Include pictures of your business, and videos if possible.
- Start asking customers for reviews to help drive up your reputation.
- Check on your overall business listing through multiple traffic areas like Yellowpages, LinkedIn, and more.
If you would like to gain a competitive edge in your industry, you must spend time focusing on optimizing every aspect of online marketing that you can. It’s time-consuming to fill out the listing and audit your business information across the Internet, which is why Performance Driven Marketing is here to help. Our goal is to remove the burden from your shoulders and have our experts take care of this so your business will be able to grow with Google Maps!