Progressive Web Apps
Progressive web apps are essentially websites that can maintain the appearance and functionality of apps. They are designed to mimic apps in many ways, including ease of navigation. They also allow an icon to be downloaded to the home screen, increasing the efficiency of navigating back to the site. Progressive web apps are becoming more popular for website use and there are many applicable benefits to the use of a PWA.
What is a Progressive Web App?
Progressive web apps have many characteristics. These characteristics include:
- Responsiveness– A responsive website will be able to function across platforms. This will allow for a more versatile website that can be accessed from smartphones, laptops, tablets, and more
- Connectivity Independence– Devices don’t have to be connected to the internet to access a PWA, they can be accessed when the device is offline
- App-like Interactions– A PWA will function very similarly to a traditional app. They have the appearance and navigational traits of a regular app
- Fresh– progressive web apps are updated regularly, allowing them to remain new
- Safe– Progressive web apps are safe to use and won’t lead to dangerous viruses
- Discover-able– progressive web apps are easy to find, as well as share
- Install-able– progressive web apps will ask the individual if they wish to install the app when they visit the website
Progressive web apps combine the best features of both apps and websites. They can be extremely useful to implement for your company’s website.
How to Make a Website Into a PWA
Any website can be turned into a progressive web app. There are three main things that every progressive web app has in common, which require a few modifications to the original web page. A PWA must run under HTTPS, contain a Web App Manifest, and use a Service Worker. These changes will help turn your website into a progressive web app.
Benefits of Progressive Web Apps
There are many benefits to the use of progressive web apps. Progressive web apps are still functional on unsupported browsers. They will still remain functional websites, but will not have all of the additional benefits of progressive web apps. Progressive web apps also allow push notifications and are usable offline. They are able to implement home screen icons, resulting in easier navigation to the site.
The ideal kind of site for you will depend on your business and your goals. In some cases, a responsive website may be sufficient for your business’s needs. Progressive web apps utilize many of the same characteristics as responsive websites. Either of these options can significantly increase your client base and improve your website’s functionality.
Progressive web apps are available in multiple themes. There are many additional benefits to using a progressive web app rather than a traditional website. Here at Performance Driven Marketing, we are capable of creating the ideal website for you. We are able to implement either a progressive web app or a responsive website, ensuring that your customers will have the best user experience possible. To learn more about progressive web apps, contact our experts at Performance Driven Marketing.